Monday, October 20, 2014

Blogtober Day 14

Describe where you come from.



For my birthday this past year, my dad got me a kit from Ancestry to test my DNA.  It was such a great gift idea and so interesting to find out the results.  As it turns out, I am 48% Western European, 20% Irish, 17% Eastern European, 7% Scandanavian, and then 8% of various trace regions.  Cool right?!

I don't remember the exact breakdown between my mom and dad, but that's neither here nor there.  Here's a look at where I come from.



Of course, without my wonderful parents, I wouldn't be writing to you today.  They are both accomplished, intelligent, and caring individuals and I'm so grateful to have them in my life.  My personality VERY closely resembles my mother's, but I have many attributes of my father's as well
  

My paternal grandparents have both moved on to a better life and, unfortunately, this occurred before I truly got a chance to know them.  However, I do know that my grandpa once fed me squirrel's brains and I thank God to this day that I was too young to know any better and too young to remember the taste!


My beautiful grandmother is battling Alzheimer's disease, but I am so grateful for all the time I spent on her lap listening to stories or singing on the piano bench as her fingers ran across the ivory keys.  She is a remarkable woman.


I'm not sure there is a soul in this world that is as kind as my grandpa's.  I spent many weeks and weekends at my grandparent's house and I cannot remember him raising his voice more than a few times.  This man is a saint.



Lastly, I've learned that the saying "when God closes a door, he opens a window" could not be more true.  My parents' divorce brought me two wonderful step-parents and a few more brothers, a sister, and multiple other extended family members.  This is my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment