Sunday, December 1, 2013

25 Days of Christmas: Favorite Christmas Movies

Merry Christmas season everyone!  I hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving and that you are recovering well from your food coma.  I myself had four Thanksgiving meals and am certain that a few pounds were gained in the process.


Today, I kickoff my “25 Days of Christmas” posts!  Coming up with 25 topics proved to be quite the challenge, so, bear with me.  Today’s post centers on my favorite Christmas movies.  Narrowing down this list was hard because I love Christmas and I love Christmas movies, hence the honorable mention list at the bottom!
15. How the Grinch Stole Christmas:  I never really enjoyed the cartoon version of this story, but I love this version, especially the song Where Are You Christmas!
14. It’s a Wonderful Life: While I find this movie to be slightly depressing at times, I can’t help but have it on my list.  I love Clarence, I love Zuzu, and I love the line “every time a bell rings, an angel gets its’ wings.”
13. Elf: How could this not be on my list!?  There are so many quotable lines.  My personal favorite is “the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear” and I totally agree.  I can’t help but smile every time I watch this movie!
12. Little Women (1949): I understand this is not necessarily a Christmas movie, but I love it.  I’ll be honest and tell you I haven’t seen the 1993 version with Winona Ryder, but I love Margaret O’Brien in the 1949 version!
11. The Holiday: Two names folks: Jude Law and Kate Winslet.  Jude Law is dreamy and I have adored Kate Winslet since Titanic and the quaint little cottage in England is my dream come true.
10. The Family Stone: The cast in this movie is superb and it will make you laugh and make you cry.  Luke Wilson’s character is hilarious and the whole movie just makes me want to be a part of this family!
9. White Christmas: Classic Christmas movie.  I watched it for the first time last Christmas and fell in love immediately.  The music, the dancing, it is just a masterpiece!
8. The Santa Clause: The whole story line of this movie is awesome!  I could only hope that my dad became Santa Claus and had Bernard as a personal assistant and hot cocoa delivered on a tray in a fancy mug.
7. Home Alone: This movie almost made me want to be left home at Christmas…almost.  But seriously, this kid is brilliant, the soundtrack rocks, and I could watch this movie year round.
6. Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas: Now, you couldn’t possibly believe there was not going to be a Disney movie on my list.  Beauty and the Beast is a part of my soul and The Enchanted Christmas is brilliance!  If you haven’t seen it, you should watch it.  If you don’t want to watch it, you should at least listen to the songs Stories and As Long as There’s Christmas.
5. Home Alone 2: Seeing NYC at Christmas time is on my bucket list, until then, I watch this movie.  The placement of this movie on my list is correct; I truly enjoy it more than Home Alone.
4. Prancer:  I can remember watching this movie with my mom when I was little (she’s a Sam Elliott fan) and I loved it then and still do.  In fact, it’s airing on ABC Family in December and already set to record!
3. Love Actually:  Pure excellence.  This movie combines three things that I love: English accents, Christmas, and Hugh Grant (minus the scandal).  The intertwined story lines and the soundtrack are magnificent.
2. The Polar Express:  Since this movie came out, it has been a family tradition to watch it on Christmas Eve or around Christmas.  The lesson about believing is a reminder we all need each year at Christmas.  Oh, and I love the music too!
1. Meet Me in St. Louis: Every single time Judy Garland’s character, Esther, sings Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas to Tootie I tear up.  I can’t tell you why, but I do.  I know this movie isn’t necessarily a Christmas movie either, but I have to watch it and I love it every time.  It is my top Christmas movie and, thanks to my future brother-in-law, I now own my very own copy and can watch it any time I want!
Honorable Mentions: Miracle on 34th Street, Frosty the Snowman, You’ve Got Mail, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, Jingle All the Way
If you have any recommendations, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment