Sunday, December 8, 2013

25 Days of Christmas: Christmas Crafts Part II

Behold our tree skirt!  Boy was this a time consuming project but well worth it as I couldn't be more pleased with the final product.  I will post a picture of our tree at a later date, until then here is a tutorial on my ruffle tree skirt.

I had seen so many ruffle tree skirts on Pinterest  and a few of them required sewing but many did not.  I loved the look of them and figured it would be something I could use for many years to come.  Commence trip to Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby!

Supplies

  • Felt tree skirt (I bought mine at Wal-Mart for $5)
  • 2 yards of red fabric
  • 2 yards of ivory fabric
  • Hot glue gun
  • Lots and lots and lots of glue sticks (I think I went through 65 or 70)
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Chalk
I began by cutting my fabric into strips.  I used a ruler and made chalk marks on the fabric every 2.5 inches (feel free to vary your length-it's really up to you).  Then I began cutting away with my fabric scissors.



Once I had all my strips of fabric, the gluing began.  I put a line of 1.5-2 inches of glue on my felt tree skirt and glued the first bit of one strip.  Then, I put glue on that bit of fabric and brought my strip back to the left to create a ruffle.  It's hard to explain, but I took pictures this time around so hopefully they can assist me!



Begin with a line of glue about 1.5-2 inches in length.

Once you glue the fabric strip down, make a line of glue about 3/4 of an inch long and bring the fabric back to the left to create a ruffle.
Repeat many many many times :)

It was very time consuming and I made certain I had Christmas movies playing in the background (hello Johnathan Taylor Thomas in I'll Be Home for Christmas!) to keep me sane.  Alas, I was finished and here is what I wound up with!



Ta da!  Can't wait to see how it looks with our tree!
I may or may not add some jute or ribbon to tie the skirt together but I haven't decided yet.  Yay for Christmas crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment