Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Day for Baking

One more evening of work tonight and then I am off for a few days with a very busy weekend ahead. Tomorrow evening I have a meeting with the priest who will be officiating our wedding followed by the rehearsal for my dear friend Ashley's wedding.  I am so excited to be a part of her big day and cannot wait to dance the night away at her wedding dance.  Sunday I am scheduled to work, but before I go in I plan on making an appearance at Cider Days.  I look forward to Cider Days every year.  In fact, I am certain that I have had it written in my calendar since March or April.  I am ready for this fun-filled weekend!

In the meantime, I have a few recipes for you to try should you have a sweet tooth right now.  My parents are going camping this weekend and my mom requested I bake a few treats for them and while I was in the kitchen I decided to whip up a chocolate cake to take to work this evening.

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting (known as "choco choco" in our household)

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups cold water
2 tablespoons white vinegar

Frosting:
1 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar, divided
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 cup softened butter
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Add the liquids, adding the vinegar last.  Grease and flour a 9x12 inch pan.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Let cool before frosting.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water
2 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use the mini ones)

Beat butter, sugars, and vanilla until light and fluffy.  Add flour and salt; mix well.  Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to mixture.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips.  Drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Power Muffins-Blueberry+Greek Yogurt+Oatmeal

Find the recipe here.

I had a busy day in the kitchen.  Have a good weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment