Monday, June 9, 2014

#68 and #97

It was a beautiful weekend here in northeast Kansas and we took complete advantage of it!  Friday night, Aaron and I headed to downtown north Topeka for the First Friday Artwalk (#97 on my 101 things in 1001 days list).  I had never been before and was really excited to see what it was all about.  We arrived around 6:00 and it was already packed.  In fact, it was so packed that it almost took the enjoyment out of browsing the wonderful stores and looking at the art.  I felt as if I was being herded through each store and could not stop to look at anything that caught my eye.  That being said, I loved so many of the stores and can't wait to go back sometime when it's not so busy.
This was one item that caught my eye and I snapped a quick photo.  I love sunflowers!
Saturday morning I woke up to the sound of rain.  Thank goodness the storms passed just in time for mom and I to participate in the Walk to End Alzheimer's (# 68 on my 101 things in 1001 days list).  We had walked a few years ago and we were both looking forward to walking again.  My grandma has Alzheimer's disease and I work with individuals diagnosed with both Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, so it is a cause that is near and dear to my heart.  It was a great walk and I look forward to participating more in the years to come.
Mom and I getting ready to walk.

Each participant gets a flower with the color of the flower representing whether they have lost someone to Alzheimer's, care for someone with Alzheimer's, have Alzheimer's themselves, or someone who supports the cause.

After the walk, we ran all sorts of errands and then headed back to my mom's house to work on wedding stuff.  Stay tuned for a Wednesday Wedding Update later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment